Friday 5 August 2022

, , , , , ,

21/11/27 CheongRyeo Birthday Interview

 Shin Cheongryeo Special Interview


Source: Debut or Die Magazine Special


*This interview was held on 11/25 at 10:25PM. The phone call with CheongRyeo was recorded and written into text.*

During the photoshoot to celebrate VTIC CheongRyeo's birthday last week, the outdoor interview was postponed due to rainstorm and changed to a call interview.


Interviewer: CheongRyeo-ssi, really... It's very late, but thank you for accepting the interview.

CheongRyeo: No problem at all. It's a shame that we couldn't do it while face to face. I will say my best so you won't feel sorry that you can only get the voice recorded.

(A short but touching conversation continued about the Interviewer's regards when they were in the photoshoot, however due to privacy issues, it was redacted.)

Interviewer: Thank you very much. Then I'll start with the important question following the interview topic.


Interviewer: Do you have any special plans for your birthday?

CheongRyeo: I'm not sure. On that day, I have a dry rehearsal for a performance, so it seems that I’ll spend the day following my schedule as usual… Ah, I'm going to take a lower-body bath at night. Of course, that will be after meeting the fans through the W app.

Interviewer: That's a great choice! Many fans would be congratulating you, but didn’t you decide to not receive any gifts from the year right after your debut

CheongRyeo: The interest and support that the fans give me is already enough. Fans buy albums physically and digitally and come to concerts, I don’t think it’s right to ask for more than that.

Interviewer: That's very earnest. Then...


Interviewer: What kind of bath bomb brand or scent do you use often when you take a half-bath?

CheongRyeo: I usually use a refreshing scent, but I’ve never noticed the brands... because I received them from the company during the tour. Shall I check them out now?

Interviewer: It'd be an honor if you could!

CheongRyeo: Alright. Please wait a moment. (movement sound)

(Some unfamiliar brand names were mentioned after that. After the call, we found out that those were overseas products.)

Interviewer: Thank you for the answer. Then let's move to the next question. Other than taking a half-bath...


Interviewer: Do you have any hobbies you enjoy in your daily life?

CheongRyeo: Listening to music?

CheongRyeo: You may think, "Isn't that related to your work?"... But you can often feel the effects more in detail because you’re doing something related to work. Of course, I know best the effectiveness of doing it.

Interviewer: That's really convincing. Then...


Interviewer: Can you recommend a music genre that you often listen to?

CheongRyeo: Of course. I recommend… making a routine.

Interviewer: Routine?

CheongRyeo: Yes. From 18th century classic to 21st century latest songs, choose one song from each era and combine them into a playlist. When played in order, you get the feeling of being inside a huge flow... Should I say, it's basic and comfortable.

Interviewer: (admiration)

CheongRyeo: Especially... When I listen to it while taking a lower-body bath. Haha.

Interviewer: Your answers are connected like this! Speaking of connected, it reminds me of the compelling bathtub scene you showed in the comeback teaser!

CheongRyeo: And like that, they got connected again.

Interviewer: Yes, yes. In CheongRyeo-ssi's activities, you've shown many impressive scenes...


Interviewer: What is the concept that you like the best so far?

CheongRyeo: I like all of them. So if I were to choose the most impressive to me instead, it would be the concept that we’re currently doing (H.E.L.P) that used a bathtub as you mentioned.

CheongRyeo: (short silence)

CheongRyeo: The concept is fresh. Various metaphors were also combined.

Interviewer: It was your most recent release, so it might have been more memorable to you.

CheongRyeo: Of course. And I participated in this album with the most impromptuness, so there's something different than usual. Because I made it right away the moment I wanted to make it.

Interviewer: And you must have taken into consideration that the responses would be really good globally.

CheongRyeo: Really? (laughing sound) Of course, it was really good because the fans gave positive responses. Thank you.

Interviewer: That's really sweet! Then I'll ask a question of the same context...


Interviewer: You often participate in producing songs, what is your favorite song and why?

CheongRyeo: If I didn't like a song, I wouldn’t release it. Likewise, I like them all. But similarly this time, if I have to choose a song that gives an impression, it's a b-side song called <별 보라> (Star Storm).

CheongRyeo: It's the song that I wrote the lyrics in whole for the first time, so I sometimes... get reminded of that time.

Interviewer: That is touching!

Interviewer: Oh, however, didn’t you write the lyrics for <첫 시> (First Poem) in your first full-length album?

CheongRyeo: (short silence) [T/N: Cheongryeo probably forgot the sequence of the song releases in this current regression)

CheongRyeo: The release order is like that. However, in terms of the order in which I made it, I wrote <별 보라> first. I'm sorry. I said in a confusing way.

Interviewer: Not at all! It's an honor to be able to hear the behind stories!

CheongRyeo: Thank you.

(We laughed with Cheongryeo for a bit and changed the subject.)

Interviewer: To change the atmosphere of the interview a little bit, Cheongryeo-ssi, I heard you have a very cute dog!

CheongRyeo: That's right.


Interviewer: Can you introduce your dog and brag your dog to us?

CheongRyeo: Its name is Kongie (Bean). It’s a retriever mix dog. It likes it more when I throw balls rather than frisbee, and it’s a very nice and cute kid.

Interviewer: I can tell from just listening to your talk. I heard that you brought it home from the abandoned dog center. What made you proceed to do it?

CheongRyeo: There was no special reason, I just brought it home because fate brought us together. I'm just grateful that it adapted quickly to me.

Interviewer: Can you tell us more TMI about Kongie that you’re grateful to?

CheongRyeo: Sure. Hm… Kongie likes salmon and also beige blankets. It was one of the gifts I got from VTIC’s first concert, but now Kongie uses it.

Interviewer: This is making my heart warm! Ah, then to continue this topic...


Interviewer: What's your favorite color and food?

CheongRyeo: I have no preferences over colors… but I avoid overly colorful and peculiar colors. The color I use often is navy. It’s because when I put other colors on top of it, the colors don’t clash.

CheongRyeo: I'm not particularly picky about food. I can tell you this for sure because I don’t pass a checklist to the catering service.

(We laughed together briefly at Cheongryeo's joke.)

Interviewer: So you're the gentle type with no strong dislikes. Then I would like to know more about your decisiveness...


Interviewer: If you were to go to a deserted island, which member would you want to take?

CheongRyeo: (the sound of laughter)

CheongRyeo: I will go alone. I would feel bad to drag the members with me. But I hope they would still talk to me on the phone like this. We have to talk about our schedules and maintain our group.

Interviewer: That’s really considerate. Then what if you could bring a clone of the members?

CheongRyeo: It's not easy to choose because each of the members has their own charms. Then I'd choose Judan, who is the most cool-headed.

Interviewer: So he's your number 1 pick. Thank you for the answer! Moving to the question that's more about your daily life...


Interviewer: What is your must-have item?

CheongRyeo: Is this a self-picturing version of What's In My Bag? (We laughed together for a moment)

CheongRyeo: Paper and pen. I sometimes take notes of the thoughts or necessary things that come to my mind and keep them with me.

Interviewer: Is there any difference from laptops or smartphones?

CheongRyeo: Paper and pen feel more realistic. And in smartphones, it’s easy to get mixed in the storage space... Wouldn’t it get inconvenient to organize them subsequently?

Interviewer: I see! You must have your own preferred style. Moving to the next question.


Interviewer: What do you think is your strength?

CheongRyeo: (short silence)

CheongRyeo: Doing my best to get the best results. And… Handsomeness? (laughs) I'm kidding. Still, it's my strength as I try to take good care of myself and show my best appearance.

Interviewer: You are very handsome, so even if you say that, I don't think it's a joke.

CheongRyeo: Is that so? It’s good that you think of it cutely.

Interviewer: (Can't hold back laughter) The next question. On the opposite...


Interviewer: What are the strengths of others that you value the most?

CheongRyeo: Their ideas and ability to judge. And execution skills.

CheongRyeo: There’s this thing called agility when the three of them are grouped together. There’s always something to gain while working with such people. It’s fun too.

Interviewer: As expected of the leader of VTIC!

(I could still feel the energy and composure in Cheong-ryeo's tone, but we realized that there was not much time left for the phone call.)

Interviewer: Ah, since the time is late, this will be the last question.

CheongRyeo: I see. Please do so comfortably.

Interviewer: Yes, I really wanted to ask you this question, CheongRyeo-ssi. It's...


Interviewer: What clothes are you wearing now?

CheongRyeo: Just a dress shirt and pants. I'm sorry if you had more expectations. (laughs)

Interviewer: You’re professional anytime, anywhere! What about the color...?

CheongRyeo: White on the top and black on the bottom. And yellow on the thighs.

Interviewer: Yellow?

CheongRyeo: (sound of laughter) Kongie is lying on my thigh right now. Kongie must be bored.

Interviewer: So there’s that detail!

(the sound of whining from behind the phone sounded pitiful and cute.)

Interviewer: Oh, Kongie just tells me the time. Cheongryeo-ssi, thank you once again for this late night call. It would be an honor to have a face-to-face interview next time!

CheongRyeo: Of course. I hope we will be able to. Thank you. Have a good night.

Interviewer: Yes!


The call ended like this. We hope that we will be able to meet more of the humane charms of Cheongryeo, the leader of the worldwide KPOP artist group, VTIC.

0 comments:

Post a Comment